I LOVE BIETOLE! This green stuff is the Italian version of Swiss Chard and is so tender and delicious! If you love leafy greens, you will LOVE Bietole too!
Here are Serragambetta, Angela makes a delicious version of this simple and classically Italian controni (side dish).
Enjoy this healthy recipe!
Bietole di Serragambetta
A LOT of Swiss Chard, washed, keeping the white "spine" intact
2 Bay Leaves
Cherry Tomatoes, chopped (the sweeter the better)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Boil swiss chard in salted water until just tender but still has a little crisp crunch to the spine.
2. Meanwhile, in a large pan, heat garlic and bay leaves in a lot of olive oil.
3. Once you smell the lovely garlic aroma, add tomatoes, cover and simmer until tomatoes begin to "wilt" and are turning sweeter.
4. Drain swiss chard and add to tomato mixture- simmer for 10 minutes until flavors are incorporated and liquid is mostly reduced.
5. Enjoy as a side dish, or with pasta, grains or as a filling for a savory pie, baked ricotta, or any way you like!