Monday, June 18, 2012

Summer Adventures


This Friday will mark my "3 month" point of being in Italy for this year. Without a work visa or citizenship papers, this means I need to leave the Schengen countries for 90 days. My summer adventures will bring me to some delicious and fun spots in Eastern Europe and the Mediterranean! 


June 22- August 1 
Istanbul, Turkey

Umit Dimen
SOYAK OLIMPIAKENT
11. KISIM H12 DAIRE 28
ATAKENT HALKALI ISTANBUL

Staying with Umit Dimen and his wife in Istanbul. Along with my friend Jim (a Brit who I met last summer while volunteering at the Valley House Hostel & Pub in Achill Island, Ireland), I will accompany English students on recreational activities around Istanbul so they have a chance to practice their conversational English. We will do a variety of fun activities such as go to the cinema, museums and picnic in the park. I'm hoping this will be a great way to see the sights of Istanbul and help people feel comfortable speaking English while also experiencing Turkish culture and cuisine!

August 1- August 14
Eastern Europe
Slow travel from Turkey to southern Albania (unfortunately avoiding Greece). Thinking I will include Bulgaria, Macedonia, Montenegro and Albania with a potential stop in Romania. Jim and I will take busses or trains to enjoy this part of eastern Europe.

August 15- September 8 
Saranda, Albania

The Hairy Lemon Hostel (located in Koder, Saranda)

I will stay and volunteer at this fabulously named hostel helping with basic cleaning and reception duties and social activities. It is run by a nice Irish lady and looks like a beautiful place on the beach in southern Albania.

September 8- 10
Montenegro
Travel from Albania north to Montenegro to visit my friend Anni!

September 10-17
Croatia
Meet up with Jim again in Dubrovnik and enjoy a week together in Croatia visiting the cities of Dubrovnik and Split and others in between.

September 17-???
Italy
Take a ferry back to Italy and either head to Sicily or to Tuscany (to Montalcino at my first WWOOF Farm with the Casa Raia family) for Vemdemmia and olive harvest. Hopefully I will have my citizenship papers by this point.

If you have any ideas or tips on traveling in these areas, I would love to hear them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment