Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Plan :)


Here’s the plan for Part 1 of the Italian Adventure . . . (all farms are in Tuscany!)

January 11th- February 11th
Casa Raia
Pod. Scarnacuoia 284
Montalcino, 53024 Siena


This is a small vineyard and olive grove that produces strictly organic Brunello di Montalcino and Extra Virgin Olive Oil. They also produce Rosso di Montalcino and an IGT red wine of Tuscany. All pruning, planning, and harvesting is done by hand. They are 1 mile from the town of Montalcino and you can see the town from their home! The family is a French husband, an Italian-Canadian wife and 2 kids (ages 1 & 3). I have my own room & bathroom in a beautiful Tuscan villa that is surrounded by olive trees and vines. My job is to help with whatever is needed from pruning vines and olive trees to helping bottle the Brunello di Montalcino (2006)!

February 11th- March 6th  
Aztenda Agricola A. Santaniello
La Molla di Soto
S.S. 321 Sud no. 30
Cetona, 53040 Siena


This farm specializes in single grove pressed olive oils. This means that each grove grows a different olive tree and each grove is pressed separately, creating artisan Tuscan EVOO.  This farm is also experimenting with lavender oil, faro, Italian kamut and herbs. They are planning an organic vineyard this fall. They are located south of Montepulciano, near the border with Umbria.  The family is British and Italian and has 2 kids (ages 4 & 12).  I will have my own room and bathroom. They have also co-founded a local CSA (Community Sustainable Agriculture) group and are involved with Italy’s Slow Food Movement. In addition, they export their olive oil to farmer’s markets in London. My job is to help with whatever is needed, from pruning olive trees and farm maintenance to indoor activities like marketing and helping with promo materials.

March 6th- March 12th
Florence, Pisa, Cinque Terre, San Gimignano, Siena, and the wine country of Tuscany! I will be touring my cousin Jennifer and her husband Bill all around Tuscany for a week. The want to see all that this region has to offer in terms of culture, wine and food! I can’t wait!!

March 12th- April 8th
Borgo di Casignano
Localit Casignano 212
Cavriglia, 52020 Arezzo


This farm is located on top of a hill that has a 360 degree view of the Arno river valley…beautiful! They make organic Chianti wine and extra virgin olive oil. My responsibility will be to help in the vineyard, olive grove, perhaps in the vegetable garden and to learn as much as I can about wine-making. They are located between Florence, Arezzo and Siena- a perfect location for my last farm! High-speed train gets me to Florence in 20 minutes.  I will have my own room and bathroom in one of the houses on the property!

Even though these farms all have websites, I would encourage you to also google them to get more info on what they look like, and offer. Although my Italian teacher would not be pleased, I am happy to say that all farms speak fluent English! I did bring my RosettaStone and plan to use it nightly… starting tomorrow.

So this is the plan… for now. But who knows what may happen with a hotel, a winery, or … ? 

2 comments:

  1. hi erica!

    i'm sabrina from singapore. was wondering if did casignano get back to you? did you wwoofed there? also, appreciate any tips and tricks for a solo female wwoofing in tuscany!

    grazie mille e ciao!

    sab

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops my email is sabsay@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete