Saturday, February 26, 2011

Benvenuto Brunello 2011

Not many people know of the grandeur and elegance that is Brunello di Montalcino. Of those that understand and appreciate its special qualities, most will only have the privilege to taste a Brunello a few times in their lives.

On February 20th I had the once in a lifetime invitation to taste as many Brunello and Rosso di Montalcino wines as I could handle! It was truly a highlight of my trip.



Due to aging requirements, this year featured the release of the 2006 vintage Brunello and the 2008 vintage Rosso. The winemakers themselves were pouring their wine to share with the world for the first time <insert open mouth, jaw-dropping, intensely excited look here>. Journalists, Restaurateurs, Wine Connoisseurs, and wine makers alike were all present throughout the weekend to get the first taste of these beautiful wines.


2006 has been awarded the highest rating of 5 stars, an exceptional vintage, and you can certainly taste it in the wines. I am amazed and excited to say that I can now confidently and knowledgably describe and distinguish between the wines of Montalcino. And let me tell you, not all Brunellos are created equally … there are some that are stars and others that are not so great (never thought I would say that!). Some producers make better Rosso and others make better Brunello. After tasting these I have a very precise image of the nose, palate and feel of a good Brunello!



Things I learned about Brunello at the Benvenuto festival:
  • Organic producers are far superior in quality. You can tell the flavors are more distinct, less sulfites are used, better quality juice, etc.  When you can, go organic! And if you’re already spending for a Brunello, may as well make it the best.
  • Brunello di Montalcino smells like a cellar, cherries and earth… tastes a bit tart, structured, earthy, with cherries and some blackberries and finishes long.
  • Rosso di Montalcino can be juicier, but also has a tart quality, lighter on the tannins and less cellar-like.
  • Riservas (aged an extra year) are even more muskier, raisinated and aged but also more balanced and smooth.


      My favorite producers overall were: 
      Cupano, Sesti and Mastro Janni. 

      My other favorites were…
  •       Best Brunellos: Cupano, San Carlo, Il Paradiso, Mastro Janni
  •       Best Rossos: Sesti 2009, Baricci 2009, Cupano 2008, Le Chuise 2008
  •       Best Riservas: Castel Giocondo (Frescobaldi) 2005, Il Poggione 2005


I won’t bore you with my tasting notes but if you want to know more, email me and I will send them to you! But if you ever get a chance to taste those that are listed above, DO IT!!

And seriously, just one more shout out to Cupano- YUM!

Do you like my purple teeth here? 

No comments:

Post a Comment