Thursday, November 18, 2010

Let's start WWOOFing!

Tonight I emailed my first set of inquiries to farms! WOOHOO! Or maybe I should say, WWOOFOO :) (I know, I am such a nerd ... but that's one of my best qualitites ... you know you like it!). I really hope to hear back from them this week and I am also hoping that all of them will have room to have me at different "3 week chunks" between January 11th- April 8th of next year.

Here is the basic information on each of the farms I emailed tonight:

1. Casa Raia- Montalcino: 7 ha farm overlooking the Sienese hills, 1.5 miles from Montalcino. They need help growing Sangiovese grapes to make Brunello di Montalcino (!!!), in the olive grove, vegetable garden and wine cellar. Accomodation in own room and healthy organic meals eaten together.

2. Riecine Loc- Chianti: Riecine is the type of grapes grown here in the town of Gaiole in the Chianti Classico D.O.C.G. region (!!!). Located in the hills of Tuscany, the property has vineyards, olive groves and a wine making facility on the property. Organic farming practices.

3. La Torre Antica- Gambassi Terme (between Gambassi Terme & San Gimignano): Produce olive oil, wine and there is also an agritourismo. Located near the Casciano river. Accomodation in room with bathroom especially from Sept - March. Check out the website at http://www.latorreantica.eu/

4. Castello di Potentino- Grosetto: Farm & renaissance castle restored from medieval origin. They grow D.O.C. grapes, have olive groves, cooking opportunities and there is a commercial wine cellar. They offer experience in wine and olive oil production. Accomodation in own room. Check out the website at http://www.potentino.com/

Many great options and a great start to getting this adventure rolling! I'll keep you posted on which ones I hear from.

No comments:

Post a Comment