Monday, March 28, 2011

Fun, Food and (MY) Family

March 6th- March 12th was a fabulous week in Italy. The sun was shining, temperatures were warmer and most importantly, my cousins were in Tuscany! Jenn & Bill flew all the way from Ohio to visit me in Tuscany! We had the best week together with many fun memories, delicious experiences and captured some beautiful photos. Although there were many things that were "not possible" because it was still early March, we still managed to find a way to enjoy what each place had to offer.

Our week began in my favorite "home town", Siena. This is taken from the balcony of Albergo Bernini, a fabulous, no frills hotel with the most lovely family who operates it. In the background is the Duomo and jumbled roofline of Siena. 

Day 1
On our way to Volterra we passed by these ancient vines! I have never seen such old vines- wow!

Amphitheatre in Volterra- I believe it was from around 10 AD or maybe BC? Either way, OOOLLLLDDD!

Enjoying glasses of Vernaccia di San Gimignano. This was the first Tuscan white wine to earn the DOCG (highest) classification.

Our day ended with an adventurous drive on the very windy roads in Chianti Classico. Beautiful, forested, green, mountainous (reminds me of Colorado!) and apparently very difficult to find wineries to allow you to taste! We ended up on some dirt road and just stopped to watch this amazing sunset. 

Day 2
A trip to southern Tuscany, we began the day in Montalcino.

A tour and barrique tasting of Brunello di Montalcino at Casa Raia. This was my first WWOOF farm in Italy. The wine is amazing! Some of the best I have tasted in Montalcino (and I can honestly say now that I have tasted a lot of Brunellos). Organic, pure, rich, silky, delicious. 

My favorite pecorino cheese store in Pienza! 

The grand piazza in Montepulciano

Jenn & Bill enjoying the downhill walk in Montepulciano- it is a steep hill town!

Day 3
I climbed the 330 steep, narrow steps to the top of the tower in the Il Campo of Siena- a perfectly crisp and sunny morning allowed me to see for miles (or kilometers) in all directions!

Loved the view from the top of the tower!

And then on to Pisa. I had to put my signature mark on this photo :) 

It really is leaning, a lot!

Day 4
Monterroso al Mare- one of the towns in the Cinque Terre and our homebase for this part of the trip. We took the train to all 5 villages this day and enjoyed the charm of each town. 

Enjoying a classic treat in Vernazza, Cinque Terre. Focaccia bread with tomato sauce, pesto and cheese. Cinque Terre is known for their amazing pesto and focaccia bread. 

Corniglia, Cinque Terre. The Cherry blossoms were beginning and were stunning against the teal blue water of the Ligurian coast. 

Manarola, Cinque Terre. 

Along the Via dell'Amore... the Road of Love. This road connects Riomaggiore to Manarola. It is said that young people would meet on this road. The guy would profess his love for his girl, and then secure the lock to the guard rail and throw the key into the water, sealing his love for her forever. 


The three of us enjoying the sunset from the road of love!

It was a beautiful sunset over the Mediterranean. The tree shown here is unique. I have only seen it in Cinque Terre and they grow on an angle, jutting out from the rocky coastline. This photo captures the essence of Cinque Terre for me. 

Day 5
We  ended the week in Florence and enjoyed an amazing meal together after wandering around the major sights- including the Ponte Vecchio in the background here. 

Day 6
Last photo of the trip... the Duomo in Florence. 

I was really sad to say goodbye to my cousins at the train station in Florence. We had a wonderful week and I really enjoyed having their company to share the adventure with. Hopefully more family and friends will come and visit! Wink, wink!! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment