Monday, March 28, 2011

A week to make new friends


A slight change in plans had me leave my farm in Chianti and spend a glorious week in Siena instead. It was the first time I had been truly alone on this trip. Although I have been surrounded by wonderful people since I set foot in Italy, I have often felt alone, especially with the language barrier.

This week was different. I was alone and was loving every minute of it. I forgot what it was like to be able to make choices. Sounds funny, but one of the great things about WWOOF is that you don't "have" to make any choices... you are (lovingly) told when to work, what to do, when to take a break, what to eat, etc... So although it is very comfortable to just go with the flow, it is also difficult to have your independence put on hold and all control taken. Although I have not "had" to make any choices in a few months, I also have not been "able" to make them either.

So this week I did whatever I wanted. I went to bed late some nights, slept in late some mornings, ran nearly every day, wandered around the market, sat in the campo for hours ... just because I could. I people-watched until I had seen all the beautiful people I could handle for one day. I ate gelato, pici, drank wine and ate cheese every day, and at random times of the day, just because I could. It was a real vacation and I loved it.

Nearly every night I would go out by myself and stumble into a great adventure. Every night I met someone new, had a completely different experience in Siena, and loved it! I never knew who I would meet, what we would do or where we would go (in location or conversation).

Thursday was St. Patti's Day and I wandered to the Irish Pub in town, armed with my fabulous last name! Met a few Italians and a Dutch natural medicine doctor. We chatted for a bit, drank some green beer and enjoyed the U2 cover band that played.




Friday I sat in the Campo for 4 hours. While reading "The Alchemist" a guy stopped by and we started to discuss the book. We ended up at my favorite pici restaurant and sat at a table with two college students who were studying in Ferrara. Ended the night with gelato from my favorite shop in town (Grom)!


Saturday I went bar hopping! Went to watch a football (soccer) match ... really was more interested in watching the guys watch the match as that is just as entertaining! Soccer is life here. Period. At the first bar I met another WWOOFer from Georgia. We were like two peas in a pod! Went to 3 other bars that night and had a blast with her host and his friends. Enjoyed my first negroni in Italy and had a great night!


Sunday I went to check out the apperitivo in town- bars that put out "snacks" at happy hour. Was at the bar getting ready to order a glass of wine when a lady from Austin, Texas came up behind me. We sat together, enjoyed our wine and the "snacks" which included 2 hot pasta dishes, pizza, bruschetta, etc... She is here for 2 weeks doing a rowing camp and traveling around. She is a commercial architect and is now constructing a new life for herself. We had a fun and insightful conversation. What a great gal!


Monday I planned my life... made a few decisions which I will fill you in on in the next blog...

Tuesday I got my hair cut, applied for jobs in Siena and then was heading to my favorite pizza joint when I popped into a new bar that was celebrating it's re-opening night! Had a blast with the family who runs it- and enjoyed complimentary prosecco, pizza, campari, montenegro and great conversation with the brothers and grandma!



Wednesday I spent the afternoon with my friend Carlotta from Albergo Bernini and spent some lovely time in the Campo.


I loved my week. The people who I met were so interesting and I feel that they were placed in my path strategically on each of those nights, just when I was "ready" to meet, enjoy and learn from them. What a thrill of traveling alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment