Monday, March 28, 2011

I

My Italian adventure is taking a slight turn and next Friday, April 8th, it will be taking me to ... Ireland!

When I left the US, I had planned to spend April- July in Mexico with a friend and her family but circumstances have changed and I have delayed my arrival until October. So instead I thought I would make this a real adventure and go somewhere in the world that I never imagined I would go. I booked a flight to Japan and registered with WWOOF Japan. Then 2 weeks later tragedy struck this beautiful country and in the midst of a 9.0 magnitude earthquake, tsunami damage, thousands of lives lost and radioactive material being spread about, I decided that the world was trying to tell me not to go there at this time. I will go to Japan at some point but just not right now.

Instead I thought I could go to Switzerland, and work with exchange programs in B&B's, a dog hotel or another hospitality or f&b outlet. But then I realized that Switzerland shares the same visa program as Italy (it is called a Schengen Agreement). Croatia and Turkey were my next options and I researched them heavily and applied to multiple hosts, contacted friends, former international students from the hotel, and tried my very best. But despite all my efforts, few suitable hosts and dates were lining up for me.

Then, a week ago, I realized that Ireland is a non-Schengen country. This lush, green, beautiful country and would be a totally different experience than Italy in the people, cuisine and geography. I also discovered that there were hundreds of amazing host sites available and dates and locations began to line up for me. I also had the great fortune to be introduced to a distant cousin who lives there! I am so excited to meet her and her family! I believe that the "universe" is making Ireland easy to get to because that is where I am supposed to be at this time. I have found in my life that when the right things are happening, your path is open to receive them. Conversely, if it is the wrong decision, there are countless obstacles put in the path, trying to scream to you that this is not the way to go! I am trying to listen more.

This trip is just as much about me connecting with myself as it is with me connecting with this amazing world. I am here alone. I am creating my adventure. I am learning all I can about cuisine, culture and different lifestyles. I am tasting food, beverages and having experiences I never even imagined. I am here in Italy and I think it is appropriate for me to now continue this adventure in Ireland. Sorry for the Eat, Pray, Love reference, but I think it is appropriate right now.

So ... stay tuned for Erica's Italian Adventure to be on assignment in Ireland for the next 3 months! And let's hope the luck of the Irish is with this Murphy girl!

2 comments:

  1. Thank You Erica! Thank you for posting such wonderful words and photos. Every night I check to see if there's anything new and interesting going on with you. It is always a treat to learn about your latest adventures. If my old english professors could read your blog they would say you have a wonderfully unique voice and cadence which makes your writing so enjoyable for the reader. All is well in the Convention Services Department. Getting ready for Space Symposium which starts in about 1 week. Same old same old. Looking forward to reading about the culinary delights of Ireland!

    -Chris Clark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Thanks Chris- I am so glad you are enjoying the blog. Sorry I have been a bit MIA lately but I have been really focused on figuring out where to go next. I am looking forward to the culinary "delights" of Ireland as well. Not sure what to expect there, but will be excited to find out! Thanks again for your support :)

    ReplyDelete