Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Planes, trains, busses, automobiles and a piedi (by foot) ...

Door-to-Door it took me nearly 56 hours to get from Montalcino, Italy to Achill Island, Ireland.  Yes, that's right, almost 2 1/2 days! It was much longer than my journey from the US to Italy. I can't believe that I was able to research and plan the transportation to go as smoothly as it did and all in less than 10 days. As I was waiting (and there were many hours of waiting) I was thinking how funny it would be to blog about this part of the adventure... so here it goes...

Thursday April 7th
12:30pm- Packed and ready to go! PJ and the kids picked me up at Lauren's house and off we went to Buonconvento (just down the hill) to meet up with all of their friends (who I was now friendly with as well) for a "last lunch", if you will. A delicious way to say goodbye to my Italian life for now. 


2:20pm- Go to the train station in Buonconvento only to find that the train "is not running" today. So I find the bus schedule and plop for an hour to wait for the bus.

3:10pm- Take the bus to Siena

4:18pm- Get on the train and go to Florence

5:50pm- Arrive in Florence and take a cab to Domenico's apartment. 

6:15pm- Arrive at his apartment. Domenico is the Executive Pastry Chef at the Four Seasons Hotel in Florence and he was so kind to have me stay at his place for the night. We walked all over Florence, he showed me the hotel (and the kitchen!!), we had a negroni for aperitivo and then the most fantastic Napolitano style pizza. I had gelato for dessert while the pastry chef abstained- apparently he only likes to make sweets and doesn't often eat them. Oh the self-control I will never have! 


Friday April 8th
8:00am- Wake up to find blisters on my feet from walking around Florence the night before. Ouch! Repacked my stuff to fit into 2 bags (from 4) because Ryanair is very strict on luggage size and weight. I weighed my stuff and was over by 4 kilos. I will have to figure out something by the time I get to Milan. In total I am carrying approximately 75 lbs of stuff with me. Literally, carrying it. Good core workout.

8:45am- Leave Domenico's and walk to Campo di Marte Train Station in Florence. 

9:15am- Arrive and plop in a cafe across from the station. Had the worst cappuccino in Italy of all time. 

10:33am- Take the train 10 minutes to the next station. Get off and try to find a post drop and duct tape. My roller bag that I bought for super cheap in a Florence market a month ago is breaking. I didn't think I would even have it this long or have taken it for so many trips by now, but alas, it needs some help. Somehow I found masking tape sitting on a table in a workshop I passed by and I just asked to use it! Score! (kinda). This will only last a short time. Back to the train station. 


11:42am- Board train and go to Milan. This is the cheap train so it takes 3 1/2 hours to get to Milan. On the train I unload and repack my bags in another attempt to meet the baggage restrictions. 

3:15pm- Arrive in Milan. Exit the train station, find the airport bus, and head to Bergamo. 

4:30pm- Arrive in Bergamo airport. It is hot today and I am wearing many layers so I don't have to pack them. So yes, I am a sweaty mess. 

5:20pm- I can finally check my pack with the airline. I have to redistribute the weight yet again. 

5:30pm- Try to enter security, but Ryanair staff insist that my 13 kilo bag is too heavy for a carry-on and I must throw away items to make it fit under 10 kilos. I can play this game too. I put on as many of the jackets as I can and fill the pockets with my "heavy" electronics- my kindle, my camera, my chords, etc. After 5 attempts she finally lets me on with an 11 kilo bag. I win! 

7:45pm- Board the plane and take off at 8:20pm.  I chat with an Irish shoe designer who lives in Milan and makes beautiful Italian shoes. Seriously. 

10:15pm- Arrive in Dublin. 

10:45pm- Take the hotel shuttle to the hotel. 

12:30am- Shower and sleep :) 

Saturday April 9th
8:00am- Breakfast and set off to find an Irish cell phone. Walked 20 minutes, found a mall and now have a new vodafone.

10:30am- Walk back to the hotel and catch the shuttle back to the airport.

11:10am- Board the city bus to the train station

11:45am- Arrive in Heuston Station. 

12:30pm- Take the train to Westport.


                          View of the Irish countryside from the train window


4:15pm- Arrive in Westport and search for the bus station. It was a short 15 minute walk away... but with my bag that is breaking, this is a far distance. I literally drag the bag all the way there. The roller wheel is burned to the core, the cording is falling out, there is a hole in the bottom side of the bag.  


4:30pm- Arrive to the bus stop and drop all bags. I will wait here for the 6:10 bus. 

6:10pm- Board bus to Achill Island. 

7:45pm- Alice greets me as I exit the bus and drives me to the hostel. 


8:00pm- I arrive with my broken bag to the Valley House Holiday Hostel. That was quite the journey! I watch the proper 3-stage pouring technique and then enjoy a pint of Guinness! Happy to be here :) 

The first pour... after allowing a few minutes to settle there will be 2 more pours.



No comments:

Post a Comment