Friday, April 29, 2011

A "Chill" Island

I have been on Achill Island, the largest island in Ireland (an island nation all of its own), for the past 3 weeks now. The hostel had been nearly empty on most nights with the pub supporting the few locals who decorate the bar every evening. This past weekend was Easter and we saw more people trickle in to this sleepy farming community. The music sessions around the peat fire, many pints of Guinness and endless chatter brought life back to the Valley House.


For the past few weeks, I have really been enjoying the slow life here. I sleep, run along the beaches, read my kindle, blog, cook, walk around the bogs, look at the sheep, listen to the waves crash and talk with my new Slovakian and Spanish friends who are also "working" here with me and interact with the great guests that pass through. I have really appreciated this time to be with myself and in nature.

Enjoy photos that capture some of the fun times I've had chilling at Achill Island.

Beautiful Beaches of Achill Island
                       Golden Strand Beach                                                                 

Silver Strand Beach (aka Doogort)

Keel Beach

Keem Bay

Wildlife of Achill Island
Whinn Flowers

Bluebells

Sheep!

Shellfish on a rock

Food & Drink 
Creamy mushroom, bacon and sage over pasta... trying to bring some Italian flare to Ireland!

Tuna, sardines on bread- a perfect beach picnic!

Local favorites... seafood chowder and soda bread

Mariana and Anni roasting marshmellows over the peat fire in the living room

The best s'more ever! We introduced the "all American" food to the girls. Digestive cookies that have a chocolate coating are the perfect way to make s'mores!


Achill Island Landscape




My "rock" memory from this island. I have been collecting stones from my travels all over the world since my first trip to Paris in 1997. I have stones from under the Eiffel Tower, Amazon Jungle, Italian Coast, Galapagos Islands, and now from Achill Island, Ireland. 


My Run


I have loved the 5 mile round trip run to Doogort Beach. I do it 2-3 times a week and love to sit on this rock and listen to the stream trickle over the rocks while listening to and watching the waves crash in front of me. Love this spot.



My route

The weather can change very quickly here. This is a shot of part of my running route home. 10 minutes after I took this photo it was sunny again. 


Hikes... Cliffs... Waves... Oh my!
Along the Atlantic Drive

More of Atlantic Drive on a typical cloudy day, just what you'd expect from Irish weather

Beautiful hike to Lake Annagh (Nakeeroga)

View of the Lake Annagh and the ocean from the ending point on the hike

View of Keel Beach from on top of the cliffs


Irish Culture
Music session at the Valley House

Measured pours not only ensure consistency and help with inventory but it's also the law!

1 comment:

  1. Trying to fight the urge to hate you right now! So jealous! Those photos are awesome! You are a pro! The beautiful landscape helps too I am sure. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete