Friday, April 22, 2011

How I do it

Many people have asked me how I am managing to take this time and travel for so long. Financially, it is difficult to not have an income and yet travel for 1-2 years.  That combined with the lovely exchange rate of US Dollars to Euros (approximately $1.40 = 1 Euro) is making this trip a bit more expensive than traveling to parts of South America or Asia. So here's what I'm doing...

First of all, I've been saving for this trip for the past 2 years. Before leaving, I sold everything I owned, including my car, furniture and anything I could easily replace or wouldn't want in 2 years time. I did keep some of my ski and kitchen gear of course, and I can't wait to come back and prepare the culinary delights I have experienced abroad for all of my friends and family. Don't worry- there will be multiple food extravaganzas in both Florida and Colorado.

The most important thing I did was to sign up with a few wonderful volunteer organizations that provide hosts who will offer lodging and food in exchange for work. I stay and eat for free while contributing to their business or home while meeting wonderful people, travel, learn new skills and really be a part of the culture. It's great to spend a longer amount of time in a place and really get to know the people, environment and the cuisine. The biggest expense I have is the cost of traveling to the host sites and any side trips I want to take.

Here are the organizations that are allowing me to have this amazing adventure:

Willing Workers On Organic Farms (WWOOF)
http://www.wwoof.org/

The WWOOF organization began in the UK in 1971 and is available in countries all over the world. They link volunteers with organic farmers and help people share more sustainable ways of living. In exchange for volunteer help, WWOOF hosts offer food, accommodation and opportunities to learn about organic lifestyles. To become a member, you must register with the WWOOF organization for a particular country and pay a small fee (for Italy it was roughly $40) for an annual membership. Once you are a member, you can read about the farms and gain their contact information. The farm information will often tell you about the location, types of food grown and farm activities available, work expected, accommodations, meals, family members, languages spoken, etc. As a WWOOFer you decide which farms you are most interested in and you initiate contact with the host. You make all the arrangements and then show up! The fee also covers a small medical health insurance policy. This is a great way to be involved with food production literally from the dirt up. Talk about the real "farm to the table" experience!

How I have used WWOOF: 
I arranged all of my Tuscan farm stays through WWOOF and will be using it again in northern Italy when I return in July. As a WWOOF Italia member, I also have access to the WWOOF Independent country sites, including Croatia, which I will probably use next year.

Workaway
http://www.workaway.info/

Workaway.info is a site set up to promote fair exchange between budget travelers, language learners or culture seekers and families, individuals or organizations who are looking for help with a range of varied and interesting activities. A few hours of help per day (usually 5 hours per day/ 5 days a week) is expected in exchange for food and accommodation and an opportunity to learn about the local lifestyle and community. This organization is a great way to travel on a budget, learn a language and gain experience in various settings, not just on a farm. Host sites are available around the world and work ranges from housesitting to carpentry to gardening to child care to hospitality and tourism. For a small fee (roughly $20) you have a membership for 2 years and are able to contact hosts and make stay arrangements. Hosts can also search your profile and contact you to ask if you would like to come and join them.

How I have used Workaway:
I will be working at a Sea Kayaking company on the Beara Peninsula here in Ireland. There are many host listings in Ireland and I can also use it in Italy when I return.

Help Exchange (HelpX)
http://www.helpx.net/

Very similar to Workaway.info, HelpX is an online listing of host sites including organic farms, non-organic farms, homestays, ranches, lodges, B&Bs, Backpackers hostels and even sailing boats who invite volunteer helpers to stay with them short-term in exchange for food and accommodation. HelpX is provided primarily as a cultural exchange for working holiday makers who would like the opportunity during their travels abroad, to stay with local people and gain practical experience. Typically the helper works an average of 4 hours per day 5-6 days per week. HelpX is very popular in the UK and Ireland, though it is available around the world. A $30 membership fee allows one year of access to host sites. Although it is most common for a helper to contact hosts to make arrangements, like Workaway, hosts can also view a helpers profile and can contact the helper if interested.

How I have used HelpX:
I have arranged most of my Ireland host sites through the HelpX site. Currently I am at the Valley House Hostel in Achill Island with 3 other HelpXer's. I will also be going to a coffee shop/catering company and organic cafe in the next 2 months. I might use this organization in Italy to gain more hospitality experience and can also use it in Croatia or other countries.

CouchSurfing
http://www.couchsurfing.org/

CouchSurfing is an international non-profit network that connects travelers with locals in over 230 countries around the world. It is intended to bring people together for cultural exchange, friendship, hospitality and learning experiences. Their mission is to create inspiring experiences via homestays (staying with a local as a guest in their home), as well as other activities and social networking. CouchSurfing is free to join, though you can make a donation. All you need to do is create a profile and start to contact people to inquire for stays. CouchSurfing is not intended to be just a "free bed"; it is meant to be a way to experience cultural exchange, meet new people and learn new things.  CouchSurfing members share hospitality with one another. Hosts have the opportunity to meet people from all over the world without leaving home and "surfers" are able to particulate in the local life of the places they visit. CouchSurfing is often a short stay and not arranged far in advance.

How I have used CouchSurfing:
I have only signed up and created my profile. I hope to CouchSurf in Dublin for a few nights and perhaps in Italy to experience some areas outside of the farms I will stay at. I have talked to other people who have "surfed" and have had a wonderful experience and highly recommend it.

I hope these sites have given you some information on how you too can travel on a budget and experience different areas of the world not just as a tourist but more as a local. I have even thought of using these organizations in the US and Canada in order to experience areas of the country that I might otherwise not be able to afford.

Once you start to travel like this, it is all you think about! The "travel bug" bit me at a very young age and I have always made it a priority to figure out how to keep going. I hope you get a little "travel itch" from this information as well... GO FOR IT!

Your life will never be the same.

2 comments:

  1. You are so brave! What a great idea though and worth the life changing adventures for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info, Erica! Your journey is an inspiration! It's great to see there are so many wonderful organizations out there.

    ReplyDelete