Wednesday, April 13, 2011

La mia bella Italia!


My beautiful Italy. The first three months of 2011 (the “first quarter”, as those in the professional world may call it) was a delicious, educational and active adventure. I loved my time in Italy! I learned about the culture, cibo (food), vino, formaggio, farming practices (growing and sales), language, transportation, moda (style), and about myself. Although it was not always easy, I managed to visit all the places I had set out to see, eat all the foods I wanted to try and drink all the wine I could imagine.


Mission accomplished … and in addition, many surprises along the way. Before leaving Colorado, I wrote notes to everyone who touched my life there and I also received some in return. I have them with me and read them every time I move to a new location or begin a new journey. They remind me of where I come from, who I am, and give me the strength to keep going beyond why I am here. One friend wrote that they wish for this adventure to be all that I hoped for and more than I could ever imagine. That it is. It is more than I could have ever imagined in so many ways. I have learned that you can try, but you can’t plan life. The plan changes, the rules change, and life is full of surprises. Some pleasant and others not so much. But all have a purpose. And I think when we sit back and are able to see them for what they are, we can learn and appreciate each and every one of them.


Below are my current thoughts and feelings about my first three months in this beautiful country. I am glad that I will be fortunate enough to come back in 90 days to experience even more of this land and myself.


Patience. Being patient with yourself and the world is the key to unlocking the treasures within. I found that the times when I forced myself to be the most patient with myself, people, and situations were the times when I was most surprised at the beauty that flourished. There were times when I wanted to rush to the end or try to plan everything (as is typical for me). But when I would allow for people to just "be" (including myself), I ended up enjoying the result so much more. It all works out in some way if you just let it be. One of my fellow WWOOFers poetically said "the only road to where I am now is the path I have taken". And although very straight forward, it means a lot to me.

Passion and Respect. Italians are known for their passion - for love, family, food, soccer, and life. It is true. They are a passionate bunch. They love to speak loudly, use exaggerated gestures and are passionate about time with their family. The way they grow, select and prepare food also shows their passion and their respect for the earth and what they consume. Eating "in season" is the only option. Drinking great wine is a part of everyday life. It is the sauce for food, elevating it to another level ... it is not meant to get you sauced. Like Italians, I too am passionate. Passionate about food, travel, vino, cheese and my relationships. I cherish and respect the wonderful people who make my life what it is. Living here has just shown me a deeper, more integrated passion in life.
Beauty. Italians are a work of art. Literally. They place a high value on their appearance and their style, accessories and quality of fabric reflect this commitment to being beautiful. Scarves are a requirement for both men & women for every outfit and all seasons, regardless of temperature. The land is also just as beautiful … accessorized with rows of vineyards acting as necklaces surrounding restored stone villas and rolling hills gently blanketed with a soft pink hue at sunset. Presentation is everything to an Italian. Whether you are presenting a roll of toilet paper or a beautiful meal, all items will be presented using quality materials and stylish serving pieces or beautiful wrapping. I have loved being surrounded by this beauty and hope to bring a sense of it back with me to the states one day. I started making a list of the kitchen items I have used here that make life a but more beautiful and delicious- I plan to get them when I create my home again in the future. 

Life. Italians place a high value on life, the enjoyment of the moment and the people in that moment. Although they like to complain about the economy there are many shopkeepers who will close at “random” times because those are their hours they want to keep- they would seemingly rather spend time as they wish than work harder to be open longer to make more potential sales. Yet despite being closed often, they still complain that there is no business. This is my American perspective talking here, but honestly, why should they stay open if there is no business? That time would be better spent with their family. And by doing what is best for their family in terms of balance, they are able to truly capture and create the essence of living la dolce vita (the sweet life). And this is what Italy is all about. It is the unplanned meeting with a friend in the piazza and then the 2 hours they will spend catching up and enjoying a coffee or having an aperitivo before dinner because they want to relax with great company. Why rush? Why push? Slow it down. Enjoy. It will be fine. 

Frustration. You have to know the system and then how to work it. Italians deal financially in the “black” a lot. You have to know who is partnering and dealing like that and then be ready to play the game too. Things are never as they appear. There is a whole sub-culture to learn and this is not even including the mafia- that is a whole other story!

For me, there has been frustration with Italy in terms of my lack of independence, the weight I am choosing to carry, the isolation I have felt, the language barrier and inability to do my favorite thing in life (besides eating) … connect with people. I have made many hard choices to be here and given up a lot of things I love- my home, my stuff, my job, my dog, my friends and family, my routine, my independence, my life. It has been worth it, but it is still hard. A friend said to me "keep your head up so you can see your dream". There were days I needed to remind myself of this. 

For those of you wondering how I could feel anything less than the most independent person in the world for doing this, I will explain. I am completely dependent on other people for every aspect of my life right now- for food, transportation, shelter, access to communication, etc. I twas my choice to do it this way, but it is still hard. I now let others take care of me and this is a very strange feeling because I am always in the care-taker role and I enjoy it.  So to be in the other seat has been an adjustment, but an enlightening one. By being here I have learned how to take care of people even better and understand their needs in different ways. 

Because I couldn’t converse as easily in Italian, I couldn’t be social with anyone who looked interesting. Conversations were very basic and limited in public, and full of exaggerated gestures.  My brain is also exhausted! Every conversation has me sitting on the edge of my seat, hanging on every word that is spoken, trying to translate and make sense of this language. At the same time, it has been good for me to be quiet, to observe and to just take it all in. I have relied on public transportation and needed to plan far in advance for making connections, etc. Life is not easy without a car in rural areas. At the same time, those who have befriended me are very special people. I never expected to have such wonderful friends again so quickly. I did not anticipate experiencing the same sad feelings of leaving friends and family again so soon, but I’m glad I am. It means I connected and it’s not arrividerci (goodbye) … it’s a presto (see you soon).


Change. The rules change. People are human. Life is full of moving uncontrollable parts. I used to get flustered with change and not like it. Now, I am better able to handle it. I can accept it, and move on. I still process it but I don’t get as stuck on it. During these past three months I have felt anxious and worried about various things. Everything has worked out- it will always work out, in some way… the way may not be what you imagined, but it is what it is. Change forces us to trust. Trust ourselves and our surroundings. I have placed trust in many people in this foreign country and have been the recipient of many great surprises and some that caused me to make my own changes. But I have learned from each of them.

Silence. I have learned that I need quiet time. And not the time I am sitting with others and not speaking. It is the truly quiet time I have with myself- to listen to my own thoughts, or to be blank with my mind. Time to just "be". I enjoyed many hours of silence with myself in the campo in Siena -- while the world whirred around me, tourists on tours, students meeting for gelato, moms running after toddlers, etc… I sat there in my own silence and loved every still minute. I need to make time in my life to have this every so often. It is rejuvenating. I often got this while running, swimming or hiking in Colorado but here in Italy, it is just sitting. 

So off I go to Ireland where perhaps "just sitting" will look completely different. Who knows. The adventure continues and this time I have no expectations. I literally know nothing about this country (and it is one that I actually come from). So anything that happens here will be a great surprise. Unlike Italy, I am prepared for nothing and ready for anything. And to me that is the best adventure. 

1 comment:

  1. Favorite entry by far! I think I will mark it and read it from time to time because many of your reflections are good advice for all of us to live vicariously through. What amazing pictures! You know I want you to scrapbook them! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete