Sunday, March 25, 2012

Ciao Italia


On  October 5, 2011 I left Italy for the 4th time. I was really sad to leave … the beautiful landscape, the people and most importantly, the cuisine!! I had a very special time living with, learning from and eating with Italian families in Tuscany and all over the northern regions. I traveled as far south as Orvieto and as far north as you can possibly go and still be in Italy (Courmayeur). I ate too many types of pasta to count, had gelato every day I could and picked organic farm fresh veggies to nourish my body. It was a life-changing experience that I will never forget and that I had hoped to continue in this coming year. In order to make sure I would come back, I purchased a pre-paid phone card and took out a few hundred euros in cash before I left Italy. I thought that “financial commitment” would be enough for me to insure I would return.












While at home, I worked part time as a hostess in an Italian restaurant in Palm Harbor and also as a holiday sales associate at Williams-Sonoma. I loved putting my new-found Italian knowledge to good use by sharing with my co-workers and guests. While in Colorado and Florida, I taught regional Italian cooking classes to friends and former co-workers. They were a hit and the "students" wanted me to teach more! (Who knew that a girl with a culinary degree who has worked in F&B for over 10 years could teach cooking classes? HA! This one!!). After the success of these classes, I decided that there was only one thing I had to do with Italy. FINISH IT! For 2012, I will be strategically placing myself in the southern regions of Italy. A month in each: Sardinia, Sicily and Puglia. I will be living and volunteering with families on their farms, agriturismos and in a hostel. Looking very forward to learning about the coastal and spicy cuisine of the south!!


Also on the job front, I have contacted a few culinary tour companies, travel companies, hotels and have looked into some other potential job opportunities. I am bringing my resumes with me and have an "interview outfit". To top it all off, I have applied for German citizenship and will be receiving my citizenship papers while I am back in Italy this year--- this means I can legally live and work in Italy as it is part of the European Union, just like Germany. Also, I bought only a ONE-WAY ticket back to Europe this time. SO, all this means that I am going back to Italy for sure. The question is ... when will I return home to the US? I'm really not too certain on that one. What I do know is that I am in for the culinary adventure of my life in this next year. And I also know that southern Italy is just where I want to be for the next 3 months.

Wish me luck! And stay tuned for some delicious recipes to come!

CIAO!

2 comments:

  1. What an adventure! Good for you little American/German?Italian friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So smart...buying the pre-paid phone card, getting Euros in hand, buying a one-way ticket. Really good ideas!

    ReplyDelete