Friday, March 16, 2012

Trentino - Alto Adige (NOTE THE HYPHEN)

A former international student and co-worker from The Broadmoor was kind enough to meet up with me in her hometown of Trento and take me along the Strada del Vino (Road of Wine) in the beautiful Alto-Adige region. What a great surprise to join Nadia for a day of delicious "German" fun!

As the name suggests, the Trentino - Alto Adige region is composed of two separate areas. Trentino refers to the southern part of the region with it's capital city of Trento. The name Alto Adige is the northern part of the region that includes the higher (alto) part of the Adige River.  One main distinction between Trentino and Alto Adige production is the fact that in the northern areas the wines are produced mostly by small family-owned and managed wineries that sell their product locally with limited exports to Germany and Austria. Trentino, however, counts on a large number of growers who joined into large cooperatives such as Ca'vit and Mezzacorona, which product wines that have consistent taste and characteristics each year. 

This was one of my favorite stops for the day- wine tasting with a knowledgable and adorable wine store employee. Did you know that the Trentino - Alto Adige region produces less than 1% of the national wine production of Italy? However, it also accounts for about 10% of grappa production!

Lagrein is a big red from this area- it is kinda like a syrah. I love it! There are actually three grapes native to this region. One is the white Nosiola and the other two are the red Teroldego Rotoliano and the Marzemino. 

We ended up in Bolzano for the day. It is in the very far north (east) of Italy and feels SO German! 

Signs are in German, menus are in German, newspapers are in German, and they even speak to you in a restaurant in German.

This is my favorite sign and really symbolizes my memory of Bolzano. A "pizzeria" sign with a very German decor. 


The Dolomites are in the distance and are a beautiful backdrop. Reminds me of the view of the Rockies from Denver. 

Biggest beer selection I saw in all of Italy.

Pretzels, anyone? 

German breads

German meats and cheeses


Luckily Nadia speaks fluent German in addition to Italian so she was fully able to order our spaetzel and sausages with potatoes!

I, on the other hand, sat there and enjoyed my sparkling apple cider! 

Bolzano market

View from the train from Bolzano to Trento, rows and rows and rows of vines set against spectacular mountains. I took the train back to Trento and immediately noticed the difference, leaving "Germany" and coming back to "Italy". 

City of Trento

I just couldn't resist!

Even the clothing here makes it feel much more Italian. I just love how Italian woman always look so sleek. I wish I could pull this off for my evening bike ride!

Young men chatting in the street. The rolled up jean shorts and helmets in hand scream "Italian". It feels good to be back!


No comments:

Post a Comment