Sunday, March 25, 2012

Italia 2012 Plan

Here's the start of the 2012 plan, as of today...
March 27:
Fly to Alghero, Sardinia from Amsterdam, Netherlands


March 28- April 9:
HelpX on an Olive Grove, living the town of Bosa

Michael & Silvia Zipp
Bosa, Sardinia


April 9- April 20:
WWOOFing with a German/Italian family in Masainas, Sardinia– strawberries, artichokes, cheese
Anja Kugler and Family
Via Pascoli 2
09010 Masainas, CA

We live in a small village (1300 inhabitants) 6 km from the sea in south west Sardinia. Our land is a 5 minute walk from the house and is 4 hectares with a vineyard, vegetable garden and grazing for 30 goats. Help needed with milking, cheese making (only in the spring and summer),harvesting strawberries, preparing artichoke bulbs for planting, in the vegetable garden and vineyard, harvesting olives, harvesting grapes, making wine, grape juice and conserves. This year our son his German wife and their small children will also be living with us. German, English and some French spoken. 


April 20-25:
A vacation for myself, by myself in: Cagliari, Sardinia and in Sicily (Trapani, Marsala, Erice, Palermo)


April 25- May 15: 
**THIS IS WHERE I PLAN TO BE FOR MY BIRTHDAY** SEND CARDS AND/OR LOVE HERE!!**
HelpX at the Taormina's Odyssey hostel in Taromina
Host Name: Piero Arrigo
Taormina's Odyssey
Via Paterno'di Biscari 13
Taormina 98039

I will be working from 8-11am and from 6-9pm helping guests check-in and out and with breakfast prep and basic cleaning. From 11am-6pm, I have the day free to explore this beautiful beach front touristy town, including hiking Mt. Etna (volcano), and going to the Aeolian Islands, beaches and other nearby towns.


May 15- May 29:
WWOOFing at a agriturismo, restaurant, organic farm
Beppe Panne
Favara 2000
Via Collegio 1
Sortino, 96010, Siracusa

On my farm in the Iblee hills of Siracusa Monte Favara I rear sheep, in the valley is a spring "Sorgente S.Giovanni" and the whole area is of great archaeological interest with many caves and tombs from the Paleocristana era. The jobs which we need help with are making cheese and ricotta from the milk which arrives at the farm from the flock which is on a nearby farm, cleaning, in the vegetable garden and in the kitchen. Help also needed with maintenance and clearing the grass round the archaeological part. From May to August we also collect wild capers, fennel seeds, asparagus, mushrooms and other wild vegetables. We have a typical Sicilian diet using our produce and old recipes, we also make bread in our wood burning oven. 


May 29- June 22
In Puglia… not sure where yet.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Erica! My name is Chelsea and I may be WWOOFing in Masainas, Sardinia at the same farm that you've listed. Would you mind telling me about your experience there? I just want to make sure I choose the right place. Thanks in advance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buongiorno Erica! Thank you for sharing all your lovely adventures! I too will be WWOOFing in all over the Italy for 3 months mid August-beginning of November. I too am from Colorado! Anyways I would love to hear from you on any advice you have in the planning stages, never having been to Italy the planning can get quite overwhelming. My desire is to work my way down from Aosta to Calabria or even perhaps Sicily (I will be flying in and out o Rome). Emailing would be great you can reach me at olliruam77@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chelsea, could you give me the contact details of the Zipp family? best regards, Harald

    ReplyDelete