Friday, June 17, 2011

Fruit Scones

For those of you who know me, you know I don't bake. My sister bakes. My neighbor bakes. My friends bake. They are all wonderful bakers! Me, I don't bake. Give me cheese for dessert and I am a happy girl. Baking and pastry are both an art and more importantly, a science. It is a science I typically do not have the patience or passion for. This has apparently changed. I came to Ireland and now I bake. In fact, I bake a few things, and am pretty darn good at it. I have to tell you, my scones ROCK! And this is a country that knows their scones. 

By following the steps listed below, you too, can make scones that will impress even the most particular Irish foodie. 



Fruit Scones- Recipe courtesy of The Gallic Kitchen
Yield: 15 scones


Ingredients (all by weight):
1 kg Self Rising Flour
200 g Butter (slightly soft)
200 g Sugar (8 oz)
1 tsp Vanilla extract
300 g Sultanas (raisins)
3 each Whole Eggs
1 1/2 C Buttermilk or Milk (add 1 C at first and then adjust to desired consistency)
Egg Wash (2 whole eggs beaten)

Method:
1. On low speed, beat together all ingredients except milk.
2. When at consistency of bread crumbs, add milk (1 C at a time).
3. Continue to mix until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the bowl.
4. Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes.
5. Roll to 2 inches in thickness and cut into circles with a cutter.
6. Arrange on floured baking tray and brush with egg wash.
7. Bake for 25 minutes at 350 F (200 C). Then turn oven off and let sit for another 5-10 minutes.

Consistency of bread crumbs

Ready to knead

Rolled to 2 inches in thickness

Cut cut cut

Floured baking tray

Egg wash

Done! Yum!! Enjoy!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment