Friday, June 24, 2011

The Gallic Kitchen

I spent 3 weeks with Sarah Webb and her family at The Gallic Kitchen in County Laois (pronounced "leash"... of course!). Sarah has been honing her craft in pastry kitchens all over Europe from Switzerland to England to Ireland. After doing large scale production in Dublin for many years, she and her husband Patrick decided to make a life in the Irish countryside and moved the business to Durrow, just an hour or so southwest of Dublin. I was fortunate to be able to learn from her in the kitchen, in the cafe and at markets. 

Me at "work". The Gallic Kitchen Cafe is located in Abbeyleix, a cute Irish town with one traffic light. Here I sold her lovely savory pies, sausage rolls, roulades, scones, bread, cakes and cookies. I also got to be a barista and brew Bewley's Coffee (an Irish brand). 

Sarah Webb, the superwoman! She is in the bake shop most mornings by 5:30am and produces food all day long. I really appreciated her letting me join her in the kitchen and learned a lot of great recipes (see further blogs for more info and photos).

Patrick is the glue that holds it all together. He is constantly delivering Sarah's beautiful food to Dublin, Kilkenny and the surrounding areas. 

Tomato Chutney. I learned to make and jar this. YUM!

Sarah rolling up a chicken sun-dried tomato, basil savory roulade. I made the base layer of roulade and the mayonnaise pictured here. 

Savory Pies... Guinness & Steak, Chicken Ham & Parsley, Shepherd's, Duck Confit. 

Our stand at Dublin's premier food and garden festival... Blooms! I got to be a part of the Gallic Kitchen at the Temple Bar Farmer's Market and at the Blooms event. 

My partner in coffee crime, Ben. We had fun frothing milk and making fancy coffees. I might not be fluent in "Starbuck speak" but I have certainly progressed. 

1 comment:

  1. I love seeing your pics and commentary about your time with the McDonald-Webbs. I was with them for a couple of months just prior to Ben's arrival and they were some of my most memorable times during my 2 year sojourn abroad.

    ReplyDelete